Monday, June 29, 2009

Rescue

Greg and I were driving to Sonic on Saturday for lunch when we saw a blue heeler dog running around in the middle of the street on Mill Plain. Luckily, she was at the area north of 162nd so it isn’t the really busy part, but the speed limit is still 40 through there. It was obvious that she was lost from the way she’d run on the sidewalk then veer into the street, so we pulled over and tried to get her to come to us. She didn’t want anything to do with us and kept running. Soon a guy in a truck stopped and tried to help, then a guy in a delivery truck tried to head her off. The people that were trying to catch her came along and it turned out they were dog sitting for a friend and she had gotten away from them about 3 hours before and they’d been trying to catch her the whole time. Greg hopped out and trailed her on foot along with some boys who were working at a fund raising sale nearby. I stayed in the car and tried to keep her in sight and be in position to head her off if she started heading for the busy streets.

It’s amazing how quickly a dog can move even at a trot. She covered a lot of ground in a very short period of time. And she kept cutting through areas where we couldn’t drive so we had to keep speeding around on the roads. Luckily, Greg and the boys were able to stay close to her and the dog sitter and I were there to try and head her towards them. After about 15 minutes, the dog finally ran out of steam and dropped down under a tree. One of the boys was able to grab her collar and she was safe. She was really, really tired, poor thing.

I joined the group with an offering of a bottle of water and the bowl I keep in the car for our dogs. The dog just drank and drank.

So that was our Random Act of Kindness for the week.

1 comment:

Leah said...

What a heartwarming story of good samaritans. I'm so glad to know you :-)

(If you were a bit more ego-minded, I bet you could get your story published in the paper...I'd rather read about you than MJ and Blanket)