Thursday, June 25, 2009

Fish Update

I think Percy is starting to get better. He's still spending a lot of time at the bottom of the tank and he has his fins clamped down pretty tight (both are signs a Betta isn't feeling well), but I did see him come out to eat today and he is a little more active than he has been for the last couple of weeks.

I went to get a heater for his tank in the hopes that warmer water might help him feel better. I've read that it's a good idea to heat their water up when they aren't feeling well, but the fish lady at Petco said that Betta's really don't need their water that warm and it should be fine around if the temperature is in the mid 70s. So I didn't spend the $15 for a heater, and instead got some stuff that is supposed to help them feel better if they are just generally blah. It turns the water blue, which is weird. We'll give that a few days to work and see how he does and then give him a clean tank. Hopefully he'll be back to his normal feisty self soon.

I also got two new Bettas; one for work that is all blue and one for Zinger that is a lovely blue/green mix. Neither of them has names yet. I really like the blue fishy at work. He seems to have a lot of personality. I didn't actually plan on getting two, but this guy was really alert and watched me the whole time I was fish shopping, and I couldn't resist him. He spends a lot of time hanging around the bubbles in his tank. There is a fish in Finding Nemo called Bubbles that goes wild in the Bubbles, but that doesn't seem like a very creative name. You know me. I have to have interesting and creative names for my fish. I'd love to hear if you have any suggestions.

I have to tell you that it is very difficult to care for your fish when you have two cats "helping." For some reason both cats view the fish tanks as gigantic water bowls, so I have to keep an eye on them when I have the lids off. They also want to look down into the water at the fish. It would probably help a lot if I moved the fish tanks off the table next to their food dish.

I took pictures of the fish, but now I can't find them. You'll have to check back for the visuals!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fish Name: Jetsam (Jet for short?)

Anonymous said...

...or Xavier...

Anonymous said...

or Sheldon...I hear he's H2O intolerant...