Thursday, April 12, 2007

The Big Move

Crap. I forgot to post the message I wrote on Tuesday. Well, just pretend I did.

This week we are reconfiguring our cubicles at work. I was going to post the floor plan for you, but I can't figure out how to put a .pdf image on here. Don't think Blogger will let me.

So I was running around packing things and moving things all day. It’s amazing how many people I work with who are injured in some way and can’t move stuff. I’m not being sarcastic either. I think there are 5 healthy people out of 13. One appears to be rather lazy and hardly helped at all. Butt head. Luckily the other 3 were really helpful and we got everything moved out pretty quickly. We had people running everywhere. The electricians were here running wires and working in the ceiling doing some mysterious electrical thing. More electricians were running data lines (I think). The facilities people were running around moving the heavy stuff (file cabinets, printers) and taking down our old cubicles. I was trying to move all the books and things from our reference items, chairs, tables, bookcases and other light furniture. The accountants were moving their files and all the stuff that accumulates on top of our desks. It's amazing no one ran into anyone else. Two main things I learned from today:

1. We have a lot of crap.
2. You don't get much work done when your computer, phone, files, and chair are taken away.

I have a tank on my desk with 4 fish in it. Christine has a beta fish at her desk usually. His name is Lunch. Because of the move, Christine moved Lunch up to my desk and put him next to my tank of fish. Lunch has spent the last two days showing what a big tough beta he is. I don’t know if you’ve ever watched beta fish, but they are aggressive with other fish (they are also called Chinese fighting fish...and for a good reason). When they see other fish, especially ones with floaty fins, they go into fight mode, dropping their fins and puffing up the gills around their face. The fish in my tank like to hang and look at Lunch, but it annoys him and he goes speeding around the tank with his fins all fluffed up to go after them. I’m sure he’s saying “I’m going to kick your fishy ass!” every time he does it. He is going to be exhausted by the time our cubes get rebuilt if he keeps this up, not to mention bruised from running in to the glass so many times. Fish TV is always fun.

1 comment:

Deb said...

Fish TV. yerrr funny.

See? When you just write about little stuff like this, you make it interesting and entertaining.

Lunch is an interesting name for a fish. I'll bet he thought your fish were named, "snack," "snack" "snack" and "dessert"