Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Oh Looky! A Two-fer

I love it when I go to the library and don’t have any holds to pick up and no big stack of “to reads” at home and just let myself browse and pick up things that sound interesting. I don’t let myself do it very often because I have such a long list of books to read (over 600) and whenever I find a new author I want to add everything that author has ever written to my list, making it even longer. I also tend to go hog wild and take home as many books as I can carry. A couple of weeks ago I went to the library at Vancouver Mall and let myself wander. Long story short, I came out of there with 10 new, non-list items. I found a great new author, Victoria Houston, who writes a mystery series about people in Loon Lake Wisconsin. The main character’s name is Dr. Osborne. I will admit that is one of the reasons I gave it a try, but they are quite good.

While perusing the books on tape, I stumbled on a really cute kid’s series by E.D. Baker. The first one is called the Frog Princess. It’s a really great story about a princess who is very awkward and clumsy. She goes into the swamp for a walk and meets a frog who tells her he is really a prince and asks her to kiss him to reverse the curse. She does and she becomes a frog, too! The rest of the story is about them trying to get back to being human. It’s very cute and very sweet. Happily, I found out that this is a series of 3 books with one more to come out in the fall. I’ve just finished listening to number two (Dragon’s Breath) and enjoyed it just as much as the first one. I can’t wait to get number 3 (Once Upon a Curse).

I really need to do some updating to my book lists, both to-read and already-read. It’s getting out of control and I’m sure I have a zillion books to both add and subtract. I had this totally boring blank book that I used to keep track of the books I read for the past five years. I hit the last page of that one in December, so was able to get a beautiful new book to record the next five years worth of books in. This one has a Laurel Birch cat pattern on it. It makes me much happier to look at then the old grey one.

At the beginning of the year instead of making some New Year's Resolution that I knew I would break in about 5 days, I decided that I wanted to read 10 books, listen to 10 books on tape, and find 10 letterboxes per month in 2006. I’m up to date so far.

Just for giggles, here are the books I have read in May.

Bump in the Night – Anthology
Flamingo Fatale by Jimmie Ruth Evans
Sex Lies & Vampires by Katie MacAlister
Memory in Death by Nora Roberts
Red Lily by Nora Roberts
Dead Water by Victoria Houston
Back to the Bedroom by Janet Evanovich
Dark Paradise by Tami Hoag
Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris
Dead Frenzy by Victoria Houston
A Girls Guide to Vampires by Katie MacAlister
Hard Days Knight by Katie MacAlister
Poppy Done to Death by Charlaine Harris

Aren't there some great titles in there? The one I'm reading right now is called Crime Brulee.

Okay, that's two whole posts for the day. I'm off to bed to read my book some more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Two posts. I'm so impressed. Dang sick dog trainer. I'm waiting to hear what you learn so I can use it.

Glad you found some worthwhile treats. Hopefully she'll still like them on treat day.

Wow, that's quite a booklist. How do you remember all the stories you've read?

Did you know that Nora Roberts has written over 500 books? You probably have read them all. I learned that today in an Entertainment Weekly magazine. In a Stephen King column, no less.

:)

Kris said...

Okay, I looked that 500 books thing up, and it's not true. She's written a lot of books, but not quite that many!