I'm a little behind, but here is my top ten list for the week. These are in no particular order, and I linked you to lyrics where I could find them.
Five O’Clock World – The Vogues.
Yes, an oldie but a goodie. I’ve loved this song ever since I heard it on the Drew Carey Show. It just speaks to me, ya know? I’ve been working since I was 14, and sometimes I just get tired of working all the time.
I Don’t Have to Be Me ( Til Monday) – Steve Azar
Hmm, maybe I have a theme going here. Does someone need a vacation???? I love the feeling of getting off of work and being free for a couple of days to do whatever I want. The anticipation of what can happen.
Any Man of Mine – Shania Twain
I always turn this one up as loud as possible on the radio when it comes on. I love the beat and I love the criteria she has for her man.
So Happy Together – The Turtles
Yes, another oldie but a goodie. Greg & I used to listen to the oldies station a lot when we were dating, and we just loved this song. It’s as close to “our song” as we will ever have.
One Day More – from Les Miserables
Okay, it’s a song about a bunch of people who are going to fight for what they believe in the next day and die trying. I don’t know why I think it’s so wonderful, but it’s very uplifting. Well, uplifting for a bunch of people who are going to die in the next scene, anyway.
The Promise – When in Rome
I remember being in high school and hearing this song on the radio once and loving it. I waited up half the night to hear it again on the radio so I could find out who it was by and went and bought the tape the next day. Here it is, 20 years later and I still love this song.
This is the Moment – from Jekyll & Hyde
I ADORE this song. Okay, yeah, it’s all about this guy that is going to drink this potion and turn into a monster and then go off and kill people in the next scene, but whatever. It’s the feeling of being on the precipice of something big. Something you’ve waited all your life to do. I’ve always thought it would be a terrific song for the Olympics.
Where Were You (When The World Stopped Turning) – Alan Jackson
I really do listen to other things besides oldies, country music, and musicals. Honestly. I just like this song because it is all about the 9/11 thing. Our world changed that day forever, and this song does a great job of reminding us of that. I like how it shows that we were all going about our lives as usual and then BAM! Everything is different in the space of a heartbeat. You know how our parent’s generation had the “where were you when Kennedy was shot?” question? (BTW if you remember this, I’d love to hear about it). Our generation has “where were you on 9/11?” I don’t think any of us will ever forget. I was driving to work. I heard about the first plane on the radio just before I got to the locker where Greg was waiting on a paper delivery. I stopped to visit with him for a few minutes and while I was there the second plane hit. We were amazed. How could this happen? How can you miss the twin towers in an airplane? What? It might not be an accident? Terrorists? Terrorists don’t do anything in America! It’s unheard of! It can’t be! Then when I was on Division and Birdsdale in Gresham (yes, I remember EXACTLY where I was), I heard the announcement that the towers fell. I hope we never forget.
Bohemian Rhapsody – Queen
Yeah, I think I talked about this one already earlier this week. It’s just such a great song. Soft sweet ballad, head banging rock. It has everything! It always makes me want red licorice too. Thanks “Wayne’s World!”
Quiche Lorraine – B-52s
Like Deb, the B-52s are one of my all time favorite bands. I have so many favorite songs, but Quiche Lorraine is at the top. I love the absurdity of it. I think I’m going to name my next dog Quiche Lorraine in honor of this song. Quiche is a pretty good name for a dog, don’t you think?
No comments:
Post a Comment