Remember the snooty maitre d’ at Chez Quis in “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off”? He had one of the best movie lines ever…”I weep for the future.” Well, after the week we had of the “artic blast” I totally understand what he means. Apparently, when we get snow, everyone’s brains turn off.
I watched a lot of news coverage during our recent storm. I’ve also seen some of the cranky emails and comments people have posted in various areas of media (including some from the particular city I work for). I’ve also watched people drive during this mess. I have completely lost all faith in the human race. It seems like everyone expects the government OWES them every little want and need. What happened to being self sufficient and taking responsibility for yourself? What happened to planning ahead? What happened to basic human kindness and understanding?
Some examples:
· The person who called the city (not mine, another one) hopping mad because the city had put down gravel on her street and now her kids couldn’t sled on it and wanted to know when the city was going to come and pick it all up.
· All the people who were furious with ODOT for closing several miles of I-5 while they graded and de-iced it because of dangerous driving conditions that had already caused 10 trucks to pile up in an accident and causing a traffic jam that took hours and hours to clear.
· All the people who are hopping mad because the roads were so bad that all garbage pick up was cancelled last week and their garbage is piling up.
· Every single grouchy person that called the city pissed off that their particular street had not yet been plowed.
· Every single person that called 911 with some lame-ass problem like they couldn’t get out of their driveway to go Christmas shopping
I have another movie quote for you. This time from Men in Black
Edwards: Why the big secret? People are smart. They can handle it.
Kay: A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow.
That’s the moral of this post. People are dumb.
1 comment:
Oh don't get me started on people's sense of entitlement. Remember I work in a high poverty area where most people's primary language is other than English.
They get free breakfast, free lunch, a bus comes to our school and gives them free medical care, free dental sealants on their teeth (which runs about $100 a pop...I should know, since I had to PAY for my kids to have them). Do you think they are grateful? Maybe some of them, but a majority want to know why the homework/school work isn't in THEIR primary language and why I don't speak THEIR primary language to their children. Our local Kiwanis provides a Christmas party for some of the kids where they get a free breakfast, a picture with Santa and a gift to take home. Out of the students I chose to go, I asked if they liked it and they said, "Oh. It was okay."
sorry. I'll get off my soapbox now.
Post a Comment