Friday, August 08, 2008

August 2008 Trip to the Beach Part Two: The Salt

After the snake incident we got back in the car and headed for Seaside. My butt was a little damp from the mud on the rock, but my good and honest friend Maiden told me no one could see anything. And I believed her.

We stopped at the Klootchy Creek County Park, formerly known as the Largest Sitka Spruce in North America. You might remember that it blew down in a big storm last year. Well, here is what it looks like now.

No, I didn't cut the top off of the picture. The top of the tree is laying on the ground next to it.


The park is full of downed trees and branches. It looks like, well, it looks like a hurricane hit it. Ha ha.








A self portrait


After all the stuff that got destroyed here someone vandalized the sign.


After viewing the park and not finding the box we were looking for (it wasn't our fault though. We only had partial clues and there were big changes in the landscape since the clues were written. We'll try again next time)we headed to Seaside

Maiden & I checked out the box at the Lewis & Clark Salt Works. I had never been here before. It’s kind of weird because it is hidden in this neighborhood and then all of a sudden there is this National Historical Site monument. Kind of like the Alamo being in downtown San Antonio (right next to the Taco Bell, which never fails to crack me up). http://www.lewisandclarktrail.com/section4/orcities/seaside/saltworks/index.htm


Anyway, it’s pretty neat. I guess they do reenactments and stuff here, but there weren’t any going on while we were there. We just got the letterbox and left.







We stopped at a really cool scrapbooking/knitting/needlework shop for a quick look around. I think it was called Creative Beginnings. As we walked in the door there was a black store cat who greeted us. After a quick hello/purr and pet, she asked if she could help us and escorted us to the scrapbooking section. The lady that owns the store came over a bit later and asked the same thing. We told her that the kitty had already taken care of it. I wish I could remember the kitty’s name. It was Divinity or Divinia or something like that.

No comments: