Wednesday, April 04, 2012

The Things You Learn

I'm always fascinated by the history that I learn in reading novels. Of course, you have to take the information with a grain of salt and know that the majority of it is not historically accurate, but it gets me thinking. Then I get my "google fingers" out and start looking stuff up. This week I've spent a lot of time looking at:

* The history of the War of the Roses and subsequent geneology of the kings of England. Mostly from the Edward IV and Elizabeth Woodinville reign (thank you Phillipa Gregory). If you want my completely uneducated opinion, the main problem with that particular war was that everyone had the same freaking name and no one could clearly recall which Edward, Richard, Henry or George was supposed to be in charge. The girl names are just as bad. You can see what I'm talking about in this family tree.

* This research lead me to try and figure out the heirchy of English aristocracy, which in turn lead me to a site that allows one to purchase a royal title. Yes, you can purchase a royal title. It's fascinating to read the web sites of places that sell them. Some have moneyback guarantees (in case it doesn't work out?). Some have an "As Seen on TV!" banner. It's entertaining to say the least. I really liked the one that allowed you to give a royal title as a gift. That's what I want for Christmas this year, please.

*The difference between a trebuchet and a catapult.

*The difference between a pannier and a saddlebag (none as far as I can tell).

I feel so much smarter today because of fiction.

No comments: