Monday, October 15, 2007

Wine Stroll

Saturday I got out for my first letterboxing in over six months. SIX MONTHS! It was totally fabulous. My friends Maiden & Marmalade put together an awesome program that took us through 13 wineries in the McMinnville/Newberg/Dundee area of Oregon.

I was on a team with 4 of my favorite letterboxing buddies...Campfire Lady, Miniles, Aunt Teri, and Buppsters. Our team name was the "Twisted Sippers." Unfortunately, Buppsters wasn't able to be there physically, but we made sure she was there in spirit!

Campfire Lady picked me up at the stroke of 8:00 and we headed to Beaverton to pick up Miniles & Aunt Teri. CFL has a nifty new ride that includes a GPS navigation system. That thing is so very cool. I need one! CFLs has a ladies voice that is very nice until you make a wrong turn and then she says in this snippy voice, "recalculating" which makes you feel like a complete idiot.

Miniles made us fab t-shirts using the logo I posted yesterday. We were very festive in them. Aunt Teri provided us with Halloween flashlights and all kinds of tasty treats. And Miniles brought THE BEST cookies ever.

On our way to the meeting place we stopped and picked up two letterboxes. They were at a nice park in Sherwood and then we stopped for one other box right by the meeting place.

We made it to the Izzy's on 99 in Newberg about 10:45 where we got our clues, team logbooks, and instructions. After a quick lunch, we were off!

There were 13 teams of letterboxers hunting letterboxes left at 13 wineries. There were also "Where's Waldo" clues, mystery boxes, spirit points, and trivia questions to get along the way.

The wineries were lovely, but, man, wine people are such snobs. I thought that was totally a stereotype, but it's true. Some of the people that worked at the wineries were really snotty to us. At one place I asked if they had a sweet wine (I only like wine if it tastes like grape juice, but I was trying to branch out into something a little more adult) that I could taste. The lady looked at me as if I asked if they had slug wine and said, "no." in this really stotty voice. Sheesh. Excuse me for asking! I don't think I'll be joining in the wine culture any time soon, but it was fun to see the tasting rooms and beautiful views at some of the places. I borrowed these images off of the Atlas Quest site, so I hope no one minds that I put them here.





Pretty, huh?

Anyway, I'm not sure of our final count of boxes found since we did a team log book and I haven't gotten the images back yet. I think we had somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 boxes for the day, which is awesome! The Twisted Sippers came in with the highest point total of the day. Yay! We rock!

So it was a ton of fun. I'm so glad I was able to go.

1 comment:

Deb said...

cool beans! Sounds like you had a blast. I'm glad you went :)