Monday, September 11, 2006

Raz Goes to Jail

Before I tell this story, I want you to know that it has a happy ending. You all know how I am about stories with pets...if they don't have a happy ending, I don't want to hear it. So with that said...

I was coming back to work from lunch today and got a call from my whippet & letterboxing friend Rinda. Rinda has two whippets, Raz & Rikki, who are wonderful dogs. She has been out of town for the past couple of weeks, leaving her dogs at home with a housesitter. She called me in a panic to say that a vet in Estacada where she lives had called her to say that they had Raz. Don't know the full story on this part, but I guess somehow he got out of his yard (they have a doggie door) and someone had picked him up wandering around and brought him in to the vet and they called Rinda off his tags. She's in Idaho at her mom's house and can't really do anything from so far away. She couldn't get a hold of anyone except me, I guess, and asked if I'd run out to her house and see if Rikki was out running around also. Of course, I dropped everything and headed to her house, praying the whole time that Rikki was okay if she was out wandering the streets, too. Took me for-freaking-ever to get there because of all the road construction going on, but I finally made it, found her spare key and checked on Rikki. Rikki was safe and sound in the house. Whew! Big sigh of relief.

So I checked the yard and couldn't find a single spot where Raz could have gotten out. Gates closed and locked, no loose boards, no Raz-sized holes, no digging. If he was VERY motivated there were one or two spots that might work, but there was no sign that he had dug around them or hair that had gotten caught on the fence or anything. He might have jumped the fence if something really got him wound up, but that is so unlikely as to be preposterous. All the windows were either closed or the screens were firmly in place. After a bit Ramona (Carmen & Sophie's breeder) came over and did a look around with me and didn't have any better ideas than I did on how he got out.

So it's a mystery. I'm sure we'll find out what really happened when Rinda gets home. In the meantime, Ramona sprung Raz from jail at the vet and took him and Rikki home to her house until Rinda gets back (is it just me or are there too many R's in this story??).

A happy ending anyway. The dogs are safe and sound. Whew!

1 comment:

Linda said...

I'll bet Rinda is going to be really glad to get home after this vacation. Thank goodness for you and Ramona. That Raz is one lucky dog. It will be a good story to hear how he magically got out of the yard. I laughed over this one.