Sophie & I had our first training class on Wednesday. She did really well. We are clicker training, which is something new for her. The stinky venison & green-lipped muscle treats were a big hit. She was willing to work for those! We worked on name-recognition, which seems kind of silly since she's 6, but that's okay. She did really good. We also worked on Sit and Place. She's an old pro at sit, and if you give her some of those stinky treats, she'll do it all day (well, at least for a good five minutes). Place is a handy command that tells them to go sit on their blanket or pillow or whatever "place" you designate.
It was kind of weird because we did it all with just clicks and treats. No verbal commands. We'll get to those, but I guess we are starting with the behavior and then putting a name to it, once they are doing it right. Sounds good to me, anyway.
A Dog's Life, the daycare where this class is being held, has a doggycam that you can use to watch your dogs at daycare. They have the cameras on all the time, so if you are ever bored on Wednesday nights around 6:30-7:30 for the next 5 weeks, you can watch me and Sophie on your computer! Isn't technology great?
I didn't end up going to the letterboxing gathering tonight. Oh well. I did manage to FINALLY get the Ace of Fun letterbox. It's only about 30 blocks from where I get my hair cut, so I stopped by and had a cup of hot chocolate and stamped in. The person there had no idea what I was talking about and I made him look for it three times before he came up with the box. I have worked harder to get that damned box than any other letterbox of my acquaintance. But now I have it in my book for ever more.
1 comment:
Way cool. So do you just follow Sophie around with a clicker and when she does the behavior you click and give her a treat? With Daisy I'd be waiting all day unless I showed her what to do.
I'll have to check out the website :)
Deb
Post a Comment