Friday, May 09, 2008

An Unexpected Letterbox?

Greg & I took the dogs to the park over the weekend as we often do. We just did a gentle walk around the top part and as we were heading out to the car I made my normal stop at the garbage can to make my “donation.” Sitting on top of the trash box was a plastic container wrapped in cammo duct tape. I don’t know what cammo duct tape means in your world, but in mine it screams LETTERBOX!

I was all mad at first because I go to that park all the time and never knew a letterbox was there. I’d even thought about putting one there myself. I was excited, too, because I haven’t been letterboxing in soooo very long. So I opened it up and found it was geocache. Well, that was disappointing. But a geocache still counts as a find in my letterboxing world if you stamp something from it in your book. So I signed that I was there and took the travel bug I found in it. I also moved the container away from the garbage can and put it up on top of the kiosk in the hopes that someone would find it and put it back where it goes. And yes, I did email the planter to let them know I found their cache in the trash and that I saved it.

So what is a travel bug, you ask? It’s a lot like a hitchhiker in letterboxing. It is supposed to move from box to box, oops, I mean cache to cache, just like a hitchhiker. If you’d like to look up the one I found go to www.groundspeak.com and put in 576543.

No comments: