Tuesday, November 04, 2008

A Look Inside

I don't know if I've mentioned it here, but my new doctor has diagnosed me with severe anemia. This could explain why I'm so tired and lethargic all the time. Anyway, she wanted me to have an endoscopy done to check my esophogus, stomach, and small intestine to make sure there wasn't anything in there that was causing a small amount of bleeding and contributing to the anemia. So off I went to the gastroenterology doctor, who was about 12, to have a camera crammed down my throat and have pictures taken of my guts.

It was a weird experience.

They gave me these lovely happy drugs that made me really sleepy and docile. I wasn't totally unconcious, but very, very relaxed. I only remember choking and having them tell me over and over to breathe through my nose. Then I woke up and they gave me a diet Coke. I don't remember putting my shirt on or half of the doctor's debrief.

I was sure that my reading public would love to see this. So, here's what my insides look like.


The results came back and said that my small intestine does not have any evidence of celiac sprue (I guess this is a good thing as the doctor started his letter with "I'm happy to let you know...") and my gastric polyps did not contain any abnormal tissues and my stomach didn't have H. pylori bacteria. On the minus side, there is a spot they couldn't see because I was fighting to cough and they want to look at better, so I have to go back in for another one. This time they will put me out all the way. Since we are going that route, they want to do a colonoscopy too. Whatever, let's get it all in at once. Can we tie my tubes, take out my appendix and any other extra parts there might be while I'm in there? You know, like taking the car in for a tune up?

4 comments:

Pupp said...

Maybe they can do a lobotomy at the same time??

Kris said...

If only!

Anonymous said...

EEhhww!

Pupp said...

I'm just hoping that the next time I see you I will forget that I saw this.