Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Moods

I marvel at the way the brain works sometimes. I’ve been having a crappy week. Too much work, too little sleep, night meetings, deadlines, crabby co-workers, the whole thing. Not to mention my massage was canceled for Friday...AGAIN. I’ve been bitching and moaning to everyone who would listen about how bad my week has been. So yesterday I was listening to Forbidden Broadway – Special Victims Unit and enjoying this song where the singers were making fun of Sondheim musicals (Forbidden Assassins) and I realized I hadn’t listened to a Sondheim musical in a while. So this morning, I decided I didn’t want to listen to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and deal with THAT drama, and instead spun the dial on the old iPod to find something else. I landed on Assassins.

Now, I know you non-Broadway nerds won’t fully appreciate this without having listened to the soundtrack, but that’s okay. Assassins is a musical about men and women who either killed or attempted to kill various Presidents of the United States. Cheery subject, huh? Kind of makes you wonder what the heck ol’ Stevie was thinking (drinking?) when he came up with this idea. Anyway, it’s a weird soundtrack to listen to because it has a lot of loud yelling parts and lots of quiet talking parts along with loud singing and quiet singing all intermingled so you never know which is coming next. Oh, and there are lots of gun shots, too. So you can be going along in a song all nice and quiet, la la la, and all of a sudden BOOM! A shot rings out. It’s an eye opener, I tell ya.

So this morning I’m driving down I-205 and listening to this soundtrack. I listen to Lincoln get assassinated, FDR live through his assassination attempt, McKinley bite it, and a lovely duet with Squeaky Fromme and John Hinckley singing about their love objects (for those of you who don’t remember that would be Charles Manson and Jodie Foster, respectively). Every once in a while there is a really loud gun shot that wakes me up. And you know what’s weird? I’m in a good mood when I get to work.

Huh.

1 comment:

Always Learning said...

Interesting way to wake up!!